I figured it's about time I make a top ten list of my favorite anime series; only problem is, there is no way in hell I could decide on which of these to put at the top. So instead, here's a simple, unordered list of my top ten personal favorites (excluding both films and series that aren't finished yet):
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Ouran Highschool Host Club
- Ah, the sacred cow of anime; and for good reason, too. If you somehow haven't seen this series already, do so immediately; frankly speaking, pretty much everything about it is great.
- Crazy mecha action at its finest. If you're looking for something where you can shut your brain off and have a blast, look no further.
- A true space western. A surprising amount of character depth and some very excellent world-building are what really make this series stand out.
- All the excitement of the Roaring 20s and the subsequent Prohibition cranked up to 11. A fun time all around while still managing to be quite clever.
- Some good old fashioned, straight-up sci-fi. Combine some interesting scientific concepts with some even more interesting characters and plot, and you've got a formula for success.
- Insanity. Absolute insanity. And boy oh boy has insanity never been so engaging; watch this for perhaps the single strangest interpretation of a coming of age story in all of fiction.
- Like Cowboy Bebop, I am frankly amazed if you have somehow not heard of this series. And while I love the original, I think Brotherhood managed to do everything the original did and more; an absolute must-see.
- Two swordsmen, a girl, and one hell of a journey. Heavy on the action with some good comedy and even a bit of emotion thrown into the mix, this is a surprisingly endearing series.
- A very well-written, very dark story about a man and the battles he faces in a cruel, medieval world. While the anime only covers a particular section of the overarching story, it maintains the high quality of the source material.
- Easily the most lighthearted series on this list, it remains absolute comedy gold. And with some lovable characters to keep things going, I guarantee you'll be hooked in no time.