Friday, May 16, 2014

It's Finally Friday

Yours truly, poor taste in fashion and all
Hello, everyone; I’m Nick, a relatively new addition to the URI anime club and also its secretary. Following in the footsteps of the other members of the club, I figured I’d use my first post to talk a bit about myself and how I started watching anime.

Probably the first show I ever saw was Dragon Ball when it aired on Toonami back when I was seven. It wasn't my favorite show at the time, but I remember thinking that it was drawn a lot differently than most of the cartoons I watched, which got me interested. Jump ahead a few years and I was watching the likes of Zatch Bell, Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo along with my friends, which was about the time I started using the Internet a lot and found out that these shows were often called “anime” by fans. Then one summer I found out that there was apparently some kind of “anime convention” going on relatively close to where I lived, so my friend and I dragged my dad along with us to go see it. Considering that this convention was Otakon and that the two of us had never been to any kind of convention before, we were more than a little blown away.
Pictured: two teens' introduction to the insanity of anime fans
From there, things progressed pretty much how anyone would expect; I did some searching online and asked around with my friends for some good recommendations and just kind of went from there, watching whatever looked good at the time. Eventually I started reading manga as well; mostly series I could find in local bookstores that I wasn't already following as anime. Since then, I've been spending a sizable chunk of my spare time checking out series that interest me, and since this club seemed like a fun way of getting to watch some new shows along with other anime fans, I signed up just about as soon as I started my first year here at URI. How I've managed to get elected secretary after barely a year of attending the club, and college itself at that, I’ll never know…

Regardless, I’m glad to be here and I hope I get to watch some good shows with everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment