Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The Beginning of a Wonderful Wednesday!

Welcome to Wonderful Wednesdays!  Please look forward to weekly posts on Wednesdays by Sarah, your favorite Anime Club treasurer.  For this week, I guess I'll tell you all a bit about how I "got into" anime.   If you have any suggestions for *Wonderful* topics for future posts, please let me know!



I started watching anime after my freshman year of high school.  Throughout my childhood, I had watched cartoons on TV (from The Superfriends to Pokemon to Rugrats), but I never really knew that some were "anime" and others were not (mostly since I didn't hear the word anime until high school).  Freshman year of high school I joined our "Science Club", since I loved science.  I use quotations around the club name, since there was not much science involved.  We spent the first half of each meeting going around the school and collecting the paper recyclables from all the classrooms.  This provided a great opportunity to talk to everyone.  The rest of the club was a group of friends that were all into anime, and over the course of the year, I listened to their commentary on shows and discussions of plans to go to Otakon.  At the end of the year, they got a projector and started showing AMVs from their favorite shows.  I saw some shows that seemed really interesting, and asked what show it was so I could watch it.  That was when I stopped just watching whatever was on TV, and began to make an effort to watch anime.

Right at the end of my freshman year, I happened to mention to my best friend that I'd been going to science club, and I'd started watching anime after hearing about it from all of the people there.  He
was really excited to find out I was into anime, since he'd apparently been watching it for a while, and started going to "Science Club" my sophomore year.  In the spring of 2008, he invited me to go to an anime convention.  Anime Boston 2008 was my first anime convention, and I fell in love with it.  Seven years have passed since then, and I am getting ready to serve my second term as URI Anime Club's treasurer.

It's going to be a spectacular summer- You Better Believe It!
~Sarah ^ __ ^

No comments:

Post a Comment